Wednesday 30 May 2012

End of Module Evaluation OUGD303


Evaluation
OUGD303
FMP
Sophie Herring

My beginning rationale statement was ‘branding an identity for the culture and retail sectors, reinforced through the use of type and layout.’ At the end of the module I still stick by this statement and think my design interests have been consistent throughout. Most of my briefs fulfilled this statement and I found that I enjoyed working on these more than just he publication briefs because I like to create a range and design for other elements to create an atmosphere for a brand.
I definitely work predominantly with type and layout and this is always a considered largely within my designs. This is a conscious design within my work and as I stated in my SOI I would stay away from image. However, within my sixth brief, the film festival I found myself with the relationship between type and image but not creating my own image, using existing photographs.  I am a lot more confident working with type and layout and feel like I have practised my skills in this area throughout the module within all briefs.

In my statement of intent I suggested that I would predominantly print based but consider design for web also. I think I have stuck to this part of the statement as within almost every brief as well as the printed, physical deliverables I have considered design for web and also design for large scale and interior so that a better picture of how a brand would work is created. Designing for web is something I want to continue with and inform myself more and more in with regards to actually creating the web presence because I am aware of its importance.

The Year book brief was more difficult than I anticipated. Although working as a group of four meant we shared the work load it did cause some issues with communication and decision making. I wanted to work on a number of live briefs to work to a client’s needs but working with so many clients (the interior students) proved a lot more difficult with regards to gaining content from them as some were more willing to co-operate more than others.

My statement of intent stated that I wanted to design for retail sector which I found myself most interested in with the fashion branding brief. I definitely found that I enjoyed this brief a lot and maybe spent more time than I needed on it. I definitely have realised that my interests lie within identity and how this can be explored and taken across to promotional material. I think these two disciplines have become my main area of focus.

I struggled to get into the Film brief at first because I didn’t have a focus but once I gave it a concept and a focus I developed the brief. I am annoyed that it took me so long to do this as the outcome has been a bit rushed but this brief reinforces my statement of ‘I want the basis of all my design work to stem from a distinct concept and for this drive the design but for the aesthetic quality to be of equal importance.’ With this in mind it has become apparent to me that coming up with a concept and keeping this in mind with all aspects of the design is important and I want to continue with this rather than just creating aesthetically pleasing work, I want there to always be a reason for doing something.
I am glad that by the time I reached this module I had found where my interests lie and was able to explore this. I don’t think my interest has changed throughout the module and I am still keen to design for the culture and retail sectors reinforcing this through type and layout.

I have definitely not kept on top of my blog as much as I have could have and regret getting carried away with design and not documenting everything as I go. This is down to poor time management and organisation and prioritisation. I definitely feel that I have not produced enough work for brief 4 and think this is because as the module went on I found that I was more interested in the identity and promotion briefs and this brief didn’t really have a purpose but was more personal.
I am pleased with some of the work I have created during this module and am happy that it reflects me as a designer and where my interests in design lie and my portfolio will now hopefully have a consistency of my design interests. 

No comments:

Post a Comment