Tuesday 17 April 2012

Book binding

I wanted to look into book binding and different methods for the fashion look book because I don't want to design something and print it and not keep the finished bound thing in consideration. Currently I don't know how thick the publicaiton will be but we discussed a rough amount of pages but this will be bulked out with accetate and tracing paper pages.
At book binding we were shown a few different methods, this above is a Japanese bind with a hard cover. I'm not too keen on this, I'd rather the stitching was minimal and kept off the front, I don't think this would be suited to Anna's work.
This is a pamplet stich, it is very simple and the stitching is kept down the spine and so it's minimal which I like.
I then did another variation of the pamphlet stich which included more stiches which were smaller which I really liked the finish of. As of now I would want to use this bind for Anna's look book but would have to experiment with the weight of the stocks.

This is the inside double page where the stich starts and ends and is tied. When the threads are cut there is little mess and the stitching is neat.I think with black thread this could work well for the look book.


We lastly did another kind of Japanese bind with a really nice Japanese stock, this took a while to do and started with just binding the pages and then adding a cover. I really liked how the paper was bound before the cover on, it  was very simplistic but bound well.


We then constructed the cover and stitched it, again I prefered it without the stitched cover, I'm not sure if it is the spacing of the stiches but I don't like this on the cover.



No comments:

Post a Comment